Sunday, July 7, 2013

Humidity and a haircut

When I was younger, people always told me how lucky I was to live in California and how different the culture was elsewhere, yada yada. So I really expected the east coast to be like a foreign country and was secretly a little disappointed when I moved to upstate New York in 2009. I mean, yeah, there was snow but there's plenty of snow in California too, if you go to the right places.  I only was in upstate New York for about 5 months, from September to the end of January. I thought I had experienced the whole gambit of seasons since the first week I arrived was the last week of humidity, then it was fall, then I was getting the beginning of winter.

But holy cow was I wrong. One week of humidity does not prepare you for 3 months of humidity.  Until last night, I HAD been trying to grow out my hair. For about 9 months. It grows super slow so it has been a long process to get to the long-end of the short-hair-scale that it had achieved.  But it was far too much hair for this weather where you feel like you're constantly dripping off layers like a candle. I've lived in very hot places before, and even ran cross country in triple digit heat but with this added moisture, it's a whole 'nother ball game. Doesn't that seem strange? If someone asked me whether it'd be hotter at 95 degrees with or without some moisture in the air, I would think moisture would = cooler.

Anyways, last night we buzzed off Boyfriend-Fellow's hair and I was so jealous. I wanted shorter hair, I wanted a change and despite Google using the voices of thousands to tell me, "Don't do it!" when I searched, "How to cut a pixie haircut at home" I went ahead with it. I was partially terrified because the last time I gave myself a haircut (over 10 years ago), it was disastrous enough to make me pay the big bucks for a haircut ever since. But I went ahead with it mostly because I recently plopped down some cash for a trim and didn't feel like there was any way to justify spending money a mere 3 weeks later on the same hair.

Before...


Before/After

The day after...
Apologies for my very dirty mirror.   No apologies for my adorable iPhone cover (thanks Madre!)


I wish I hadn't cut off so much in front, I would've loved longer side-of-my-face-hairs but other than that, I'm quite happy with the results!

I would love to know your thoughts on this... Do you cut your own hair? Have any good/bad stories? Share 'em in the comments below!

5 comments:

  1. Very cute! I just chopped mine again -- not from the heat (Ha! in the Bay Area?!?) but because I start rotations next week and wanted something that didn't look schlubby when I put my usual amount of effort (read: zero) into getting ready.

    I did a DIY pixie, once -- I was living in northern Peru (so, the equatorial desert) in their summer, and I got sick. I was feverish, my head was SO HOT, and my lovely long very-red-from-being-in-the-desert-sun hair was just too much. Off it went. I've cut my own hair frequently, but never since moving to CA -- the complete lack of humidity means that my hair doesn't curl nearly as much, so it's not as forgiving of a sloppy haircut. While I'm quite content in my current climate, summer *does* feel wrong without absolutely any humidity. It's not like our summers have been very summery here, what with working/schooling full-time, but it's interesting to find that as something that I miss.

    Also, I'm glad you're back! Seems like it had been ages since you've posted, I thought you took your work-life balance thing very seriously and weren't going to blog anymore. Which would have made me very very sad, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks so great! you did such an awesome job!

    alabama gets pretty humid in august. i pretty much wear my hair in a ponytail every.single.day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe I've said this before, but you're brave to cut your own hair! It looks darn cute to boot. I recently trimmed my own bangs, but could NOT get over the fact they weren't straight. Truth be told, they might have been straight, but I constantly panicked over the fact they weren't. An aide from the classroom across the hall - who used to be a hairdresser - evened them up for me. Next time, I'm going into a salon... but I need a trim anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think you did a fabulous job!! how brave to do it yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so awesome. I think you did a great job!

    Before I ever went to hair design school, I was cutting my and my friends' hair and never really had any huge mishaps. After I saw Shannyn Sossamon in Rules of Attraction, I HAD to have her haircut, so I did it in my bathroom one night. I liked the disheveled look and how uneven and crazy the layers were. I think it's easier to cut at home with short hair than it would be with long hair- the layers would give you away unless they were really well blended.

    ReplyDelete

How did you know I LOOOVE comments?!