Sunday, February 24, 2013

More big news....

We're moving! 

We're heading to the East Coast (ultimately D.C. but we'll be staying with Boyfriend-Fellow's family for awhile, near D.C., while we find a place) in one month!

This means that Boyfriend-Fellow is leaving graduate school as well.  He was dissatisfied for some of the same reasons as me and many of his own.

Not only is Boyfriend-Fellow's family in the area we're heading, but the jobs that Boyfriend-Fellow has been interested in (and interviewing for) are all out there.

We had been toying with the idea of moving for awhile since family is very important to both of us and this seems like a solution that allows both of us to see our families the maximum amount. Now that I'm doing photography full-time (i.e. I'm my own boss and can do work from anywhere), I can come back to California for longer, enjoy my time more and can offset the cost of the flight home with some photography jobs in California.

This is all very unknown right now. We're still waiting to hear about Boyfriend-Fellow's job and we don't know how long we'll be out there ultimately. But we're taking a leap of faith and trusting that it will be fine.

Of course, there's a big part of me that's terrified. What if I don't get to see my family enough? What if......? Actually, I've realized that that's my only fear.  And I'm having to learn to trust that where there's a will, there's a way. My family is so incredibly vital to me and if I set an intention to prioritize my relationships with them, then I will.

But I could still use your encouragement, advice and stories of how you were able to maintain (if not strengthen) your relationships with people as you've moved further from them.

5 comments:

  1. Aww, congrats! The hubby and I moving way far away from family only solidified our relationships with family. Sure, relationships changed. The important ones became stronger. Skype became a big part of life, especially once we had kids. And I would say when we came home for a visit, our time was more precious with everyone. So excited for you and reading about your new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have never moved away, but my baby sister lives away from our family of 20+ (with kids and husbands), and we email probably 30 times a day with her. when she comes home to visit, it's almost like she never left. best of luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for moving! My husband and I moved from California (my home since birth) to Florida for his graduate program, and I was devastated at first. It turned out to be such a great experience. It actually strengthened my relationships with my existing friends in California because we realized how much we mean to each other, and I made new friends in Florida that I now keep in touch with regularly (we've since moved back to California) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah! This is big news! Congratulations! Though I'm sure it comes with some worries as well. Long distance is hard, no doubt about it. I've never lived further from my family than 6 hours driving distance so I don't have a lot of advice. I guess my best tip would be skype! You're going to need to get comfortable with that video technology. :) Also, you and Boyfriend-Fellow are going to become much closer, as you're both potentially moved out of your comfort zones, so that will be something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, so exciting. Congrats! I hope job stuff gets settled quickly and that you really are able to see family as much as you hope. Can't wait to hear about all your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete

How did you know I LOOOVE comments?!