Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Big news

I think I promised you guys several times an explanation for why I've been so busy...
Well (drum roll please)...  I'm leaving grad school.
I earned my Masters degree at the end of last school year and I've given it a go but I really haven't felt fulfilled for a long time.

I have been quiet about it on the blog because...
a) Some of my fellow students at one point found out about my blog and I didn't want to say anything that would compromise my position before I was decided and ready to say something
and
b) I'd rather be someone who doesn't complain unless I can do something about it.

The support of many helped me make this decision, not least of which was Boyfriend-Fellow. He's been absolutely amazing throughout this whole process, listening for countless hours and giving me loads of confidence.  I also was inspired by Molly beginning to live out her dream (post here). And I received a ton of useful (and free!) information from Chic-CEO, a company by woman entrepreneurs, full of free advice for women who want to start their own business.

So what am I going to do?
I'm going to pour my heart into becoming a full-time photographer.
I know it's a tough business to break into.
And I know it's self-employment is hard.
But I'm dedicated.

I've worked for 8 years for my dad's wedding videography business and gained lots of experience in that field. I've been doing impromptu, mostly unpaid photography for my friends and friends of friends for over 10 years. My goal is to do lifestyle photography, spanning engagements, weddings, maternity, baby and family portraiture.





And... it'd be fun to do some band or fashion shoots too.

So yeah, that's what's up with me. 
I could really use help at this start-up phase of my career so if you know of anyone getting married, I'm willing to travel!

24 comments:

  1. wow! big change! that's so bold, i'm proud of you for going for it and wish you the best of luck pursuing your dreams! (and i apologize -- i feel like my too-honest answer to your friends' "so, how do you know rachael?" questions probably outed your blog...)

    obvy i'm not in need of a wedding photographer, but if anything else comes up, i'll let you know and hopefully you can wrangle something out of a trip to visit your menfolk. =)

    ah! so excited to see you acting on the things you were wrestling over when we spoke. good luck, good luck, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Katie! No, no one even thought twice about it when you mentioned anything about how we met. It's perfectly fine! And thank you for your support and potential networking and encouragement!

      Delete
  2. How exciting!!! Good luck :)

    If you were close to Chicago I'd have you as my wedding photog ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colleen! I commented on your blog but I'll say it again.. I'm happy to travel! So if you're still looking for a photographer, get in touch with me... I'd love to talk more about it.

      Delete
  3. Good for you for following your heart and passion! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lindz. You're too kind for taking the time to leave me your sweet comment. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm a lurker (stumbled across your blog when panicking on outfit selections for meeting a potential advisor!) and I've really enjoyed the eclectic mix of adventures you share here. Just had to pipe up and say congratulations for making such a big change, and for being brave enough to pursue what will make you happy. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi RedBirdRamble! I love that I have lurkers! How flattering! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment and encourage me!

      Delete
  5. Yay! I'm so excited for you! I'm so glad you're following your heart on this one. It always knows best :) Congratulations on this new venture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natasha! Thank you! I know you've been following your dreams with your Etsy shop and beautiful family and everything so thank you!

      Delete
    2. Yes! And it truly does feel BETTER. Sure there is stress, but it's so much "lighter" when you love what you do. Can't wait to see (more of) your work!!

      Delete
  6. i'm so happy that you are following your heart! good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deanna! I really appreciate that!

      Delete
  7. I know you told me a bit ago, and I apologize for not replying, so here's my response now: yay! I'm so proud of you. I have no right to be proud of you, but I am. I'm so happy you're following your desire. It's an amazing feeling, to feel like you're really doing something that's right for you. Congratulations on finally taking that step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charlotte! You definitely have a right to be proud of me! That's the right that friends have. Thank you for letting me know.

      Delete
  8. I am so excited for you! I know photography is a tough business, but your work speaks for itself. Seriously. You take stunning pictures. Way to follow your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! I appreciate your kind words of support and compliments!

      Delete
  9. Wow! How exciting! I wish you the best of luck in your new endeavor - photography as a full-time career would be so rewarding :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan! Yeah, that's exactly it, I feel like it'd be so fulfilling!

      Delete
  10. how exciting...good for you for doing what you really want to do. that is impressive!! best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's super exciting! I wish you the best as you move on to your next phase. (And I can't wait to see all your beautiful pictures!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, E! Your support means so much!

      Delete
  12. I'm so excited for you and incredibly honored to have played a teeny tiny part in your decision.
    You are insanely talented and I can't wait to watch your dream come true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly, you are a constant source of inspiration. I wouldn't say you had a 'teeny tiny' part at all!

      Delete

How did you know I LOOOVE comments?!