Monday, November 5, 2012

Sadness (Buster)

Today is a sad day.
We had to put Buster down.
Well, my dad did. I was too far away and so was Thanksgiving break (when I'd be able to come home).
18 year old me and 6 year old Buster  

He was always such a people pleaser. 
He was the most voluntarily obedient dog.
Look at those perked up ears!

The only exception to the obedience thing is that he didn't care for baths (as you can see below), so when he knew bath time was coming, he'd find a corner to wedge himself in so as to make it harder to pick him up and put him in the tub. But my dad eventually trained him to hop in the tub to have his paws washed after their daily walk (how cute is that?!).

One of my most favorite things about him was that he always had the right instinct but trouble carrying it out. For example...
Instinct: Wag his tail
Actuality: He'd wag his whole backside in every direction.

Instinct: Catch a tennis ball
Actuality: He'd clamp his jaws shut too soon and the ball would often bounce off his snout or teeth. A

Instinct: Lift his leg to pee
Actuality: He would not lift his leg enough and accidentally pee on it.

Speaking of pee, when he got too excited, he'd always pee a little. On the day we picked him out, we riled him up too much and he rolled over and peed on himself.  It was adorable.

He was almost 15 (his birthday was in January), which is about 103 years old in dog years!




Here he is as a puppy (with Brutharrr).

We will miss you Buster.

9 comments:

  1. Aww....my parents had to put our dog Jackson down in April. So sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry! I wish dogs could live forever. Looks like he had a really good and long happy life, though! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm sorry rachael. he sounds like he was a fabulous companion, and you are all lucky to have had him for 15 years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm sorry, rachael. :-/ i know how pets can really become part of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me tear up! Sorry for your loss. Be thankful you got to share his love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for your loss. I know how it feels having a dog steal your heart, then having your heart ripped out when they are gone. I referred to the dog I grew up with as my dog-sister and it ripped my heart out when she died. I hope you are able to remember the good times and your pain goes away quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. :( I'm so sorry to hear about this. It sounds like he had a wonderful life and loving family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry for your loss :( Cherish the great memories you have with him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Rachel, I'm so sorry to hear this news. Sounds like this pup lived a life worth leading in a loving family.

    ReplyDelete

How did you know I LOOOVE comments?!