Monday, September 17, 2012

French Toast

I never wanted french toast for breakfast before now.


Well, let me clarify... I wanted the flavor but not the  
uuuggghhh-weighed-down feeling after such a load of carbs and sweets.


Then I saw this healthier version of french toast on
Rabbit Food For My Bunny Teeth (of course) and just had to try it.

As per usual, I made a few adaptations so click above for original recipe but here's what I do...


Nourishing French Toast
Ingredients:
1 slice whole-wheat bread
2-3 egg whites (depending on hunger level)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
A drizzle of honey or agave

Topping suggestions:
1 TBSP sliced almonds
Your choice of fruit (i.e. 1/2 nectarine, frozen berries, etc)
Additional honey or agave or cinnamon

Directions:
Soak the slice of bread in a mixture of the egg whites, sweetener of choice and cinnamon.
Cook the bread in a pan lightly coated in cooking spray.
Pour any extra mixture on top.
Cook until egg isn't runny.
Serve with fruit and honey on top.
Major success! 

I've been making it all the time now, even not just for breakfast,
and Boyfriend-Fellow said it was the best french toast ever.

Variations:
Some days I don't feel like a sweet breakfast so I used chipotle
powder and black pepper and make it a savory french toast.

Or when I'm wanting more simple, comfort food, I just put butter on top.

This morning, I made a quite decadent version for my weekend guest... Hers was not only topped with almond slices and agave but also coconut shreds and chocolate chips. Yum.

How do YOU make your french toast?

4 comments:

  1. I make a very similar version myself, but I add almond extract to the egg whites. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks pretty amazingly delicious. French toast is a guilty pleasure for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whhhhhy did I have to see this?! Looks so delish, I know what I'm having for breakfast ;)
    Xoxo,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Savory french toast? Why have I never thought of this before?!

    ReplyDelete

How did you know I LOOOVE comments?!