Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Vegan Banana Bread

So, remember when I made bread for the first time with my friend?
Well, this is my first foray entirely on my own and I am purdy darn happy with the results.

The recipe comes from Catherine's blog (as have all of the recent recipes I've posted on here). This bread is not only just amazingly delicious on it's own, it also boasts no refined sugar, oil or dairy. Oh, and it's whole-wheat. Soooo, booyah.  So don't feel bad about licking the bowl.

I only had whole flaxseeds but the recipe calls for ground flaxseeds (and I quickly learned that you can't substitute whole flaxseeds + water for eggs. It HAS to be a powder to make the right texture). Fortunately, Google saved the day and I found out I could use my coffee grinder to acquire ground flaxseeds.

Vegan Banana Bread
Original recipe here

The actual page from my recipe book...

Ingredients:
2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour (I used regular whole-wheat flour)
2 cups very ripe mashed banana
1/3 cup Medjool dates - finely chopped
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water (I used 3 Tbsp)
1 Tbsp sesame seeds

Directions:
1) Preheat oven (300 degrees).
2) Mix ground flaxseed with water and let sit (stirring occasionally until it makes a sticky, goopy mess).
3) Mix all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon) in another bowl.
4) Add banana (mashed), dates (chopped), and flaxseed goop to the dry ingredients and make a dough.
5) Lightly coat a baking pan in nonstick cooking spray.
6) Pour the dough into the pan with a dash of sesame seeds on top.
7) Bake for 55-60 minutes* until edges are golden and a toothpick comes out clean.

*I baked it longer than 60 minutes and it was still marvelously gooey on the inside while perfectly toasted on the outside.

ENJOY!

1 comment:

How did you know I LOOOVE comments?!