Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Saturday - Food Party

First thing on Saturday, I went the the Farmer's Market (oh Farmer's market, how I love thee).
This is what I wore...
(I edited out the bathroom background for ya. You're welcome).

Then I got some crafting supplies.
Baked.
Hung out with friends in the park.
And then it was tiiimmeee....
Time for the food party.
You know, the one I was making those test recipes for (see here and here).

Anyhoo, the dish I settled on was chickpea cookie dough.
Yet another recipe from Catherine's blog Rabbit Food For My Bunny Teeth.
It was hands down the most popular among my friends/coworkers.

Chickpea cookie dough is awesome because...
(a) it's a little quirky (cookie dough out of chickpeas?!)
(b) it tastes like the best cookie dough evah
(c) it has no raw eggs or refined sugar so yeah... no getting sick or having a sugar crash.

Chickpea Cookie Dough
(makes ~ 3 cups of dough)
Recipe for chickpea cookies came from here.
Instructions for making the dough* found here 

*Only difference is that you don't put in 
baking soda, baking powder or actually bake the dough. Duh.

INGREDIENTS:
A 15oz can of chickpeas (no salt)
1 & 1/4 cup Medjool dates (pitted)
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup chocolate or carob chips
3 TBSP almond butter
2 TBSP rolled oats
1 TBSP & 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt (I put more... )

DIRECTIONS:
Put pitted dates and water in a bowl, cover and let chill in the fridge for at least 8 hours.
Strain & rinse chickpeas.
When the dates are sufficiently soaked, strain & rinse the chickpeas and combine them with the dates (water and all), almond butter, oats, vanilla, and salt (everything but the chocolate chips) in a food processor.
After dough consistency is reached, remove dough from the for processor and gently mix in the chocolate chips. Refrigerate and serve cold.

*NOTE: I added coconut and added the oats when I added the chocolate chips so they'd not be ground up.

I served it in tiny cups with tiny spoons....
Alas, it did not win (a goat cheese blueberry pie won), 
but I had fun making it and everyone seemed to really enjoy it so ... I consider it a success!

4 comments:

  1. I've seen this recipe several times and I just can't believe it tastes like cookie dough. I just can't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your clothing style! Especially the yellow cardigan (or is that a blazer?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so cute! Did you go to the Hillcrest market? I used to live in University Heights/North Park/Normal Heights when I lived there. Miss miss miss. Now I live in a way cooler place though..a-hem..Chicago. Maybe you've heard of it? Cooler in a very literal way. :))

    ReplyDelete

How did you know I LOOOVE comments?!