Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Salad for dinner

As a vegetarian, I resent when people offer me salad in lieu of a meal. I cannot subsist on a bag of yard work, people!
...Until now.

My mom made her own rendition of this california chipotle chopped salad and it was booommmmb.

So I thought I'd share 
(you're welcome)

 It has avocado, quinoa, tomato, onion, black beans, garlic....

Things she did differently than the linked recipe: 
(1) She sauteed the onions...
(2) Substituted cumin for the chile powder (for Littlest-Little, who is not a fan of spiciness) and ...
(3) Left out the cilantro (for me, who is not a fan of cilantro).

It's filling, healthy and delicious. What more could you want?

3 comments:

  1. Yummy!!!

    I miss your "Brain Droppings" posts!! They were fun and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! i am the same way. when i first became a vegetarian (20+ years ago), my only options when out to eat were salads or pasta primavera. at least choices have gotten better! this salad sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooooh, I will have to try this recipe! I am the SAME WAY about salads. As the only vegetarian in a family full of meat eaters, I've have one limp-soggy-iceberg-lettuce-with-dried-out-carrot-shavings-and-scabby radishes-slathered-in-ranch-dressing too many.

    The other great thing about this recipe is that I wouldn't have to turn the oven on! Always a plus in hot summer weather :) Thanks for sharing this, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete

How did you know I LOOOVE comments?!