Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Crafts: Spoon necklaces


I saw this cool craft idea on Megan's blog and so my crafting buddy and I gave it a shot.

First we got paper...
(but we ended up using other random papers I had around like magazines and old photos)

Then we traced the shape of a spoon onto the paper...

Then we flattened the spoons with a hammer and started bending the handle over....

Then we broke off the handle (enough wiggling will do it) and hammered what was left of the handle into a loop 
(so we could eventually put a string or chain through it).

Then we modge-podged the papers onto the spoons (additionally, you can paint over the paper or burn the edges with a match for an antique look)

These are the spoons she made...

And these are the spoons I made....

I wanted to do one more that was a little more personalized so I took an old photo I had scanned of my madre from her yearbook and made one out of that.
Little hippie madre!

Then you just put a string on it and you've got a necklace!
You should try this craft, it's super fun!

11 comments:

  1. i'm totally trying this! they all look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! So do you bend the back just enough to create a little loop for the string?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, good point, I should be clearer about that (I'm going to edit the main post now)

      Delete
  3. How fun and simple! Love the one for your mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Though I made the one of my mom for myself... She would feel weird wearing it I think...

      Delete
  4. How awesome! Glad to see you loved the idea enough to make some for yourself :) I really like the one with the little blue bird in the tree, and the one of your mom is really sweet.

    Hope you're having a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, you found it! I was gonna leave a comment on your blog about my post (I hope it's okay that I used your idea) but you beat me.

      Delete
  5. Rachael - these are gorgeous! SO cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun...and oh the possibilities!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cool! with the one with your mum, i like how the scan isn't high-res enough to put detail in the features, but just in the face shape and bone structure and all that, she looks so much like your little sisters. =)

    ReplyDelete

How did you know I LOOOVE comments?!