Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Crafts: Light Bulb Vases

My crafting friend and I stumbled across this cool looking craft and just HAD to try it ourselves....

Step 1: Safety first! 
This project definitely needs eye protection.

Step 2: Assemble your tools 
(not pictured; wire, scissors, thumb tack)

Step 3: Peel off that little metal backing with some pliers.

Step 4: Break that little black glass backing. 
I did this by gently tapping it with a hammer until I saw a crack and then
using a nail to wiggle around the pieces until they fell out.
Apologies for my manicure (especially to Molly)

Step 5: Clear out the innards. 
I did this by first using gently tapping a nail on the inside until it broke a bit. 
Then I stuck scissors in there and swirled it around (it makes a delicious crunching noise). 
Be careful not to damage the actual globe part of the bulb here.


Step 6: Using a thumbtack, put holes on both sides of the backing.

Step 7: String thin wire through to make a handle. 
We got our wire from a florist, who gave it to us for free!
At this point, you could decorate the wire if you want 
(like with ribbon) but I just kept it simple so it would blend. 

Step 8: Fill with flowers! Or whatever you want!

Step 9: Hang in your mom's beautiful vine-filled arbor.
Or whatever.

Lemme know if you try this project!

5 comments:

  1. super cute idea...i think i might have to keep in mind for our wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea! I think i will have to keep it in mind for our wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute! I could also imagine making a display in a corner with a bunch of these hanging at different heights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! I'm like a bull in a china shop and would probably break every stinkin' bulb. That takes finesse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I love lightbulb crafts - I have wanted to make a lightbulb terrarium but have been a little scared off by the possibility of cutting myself.

    ReplyDelete

How did you know I LOOOVE comments?!