Sunday, April 29, 2012

Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Guys!!! My A.P.E. (adult picky eater) friend called me last week to tell me he had just eaten the most delicious homemade pizza, but get this... the crust was made out of cauliflower!

I cannot emphasize to you enough how picky this guy is.  In fact, the reason he was even eating this weird pizza is because he has decided that he wants to start eating fruits and vegetables...  That's right... Start eating fruits and vegetables for the first time in his life.
I kid you not, he lived on cereal, bagels, meat, spaghetti.... and... not much else.

Fortuitously, Boyfriend-fellow and I already had a pizza night planned so we just switched up the bread dough we were going to use with this cauliflower creation.
Result: OH MY GOSH.  It's SUPER yum and so easy to make!

We used the recipe here as inspiration but we massively adapted it.

Ingredients:
3 cups riced cauliflower (cooked)
1/4 cup shredded skim mozzarella cheese
1 egg
THAT'S IT!*
(*you can add herbs and spices if you want) 

Instructions:
1) Rice the cauliflower (with a food processor or, if you're like me and don't have one, just chop it up real fine).
2) Cook the cauliflower (3.5 minutes in the microwave per cup... No need to add water, it's already got enough in it).
3) Mix cauliflower, egg and cheese.
4) Spread mixture onto a pan.

5) Bake 15 minutes.

6) Add toppings and broil until cheese is melted.
Boyfriend-Fellow's creation

 My creation

7) Enjoy! 

(It looks like the bottom is burnt but it's just the edges and they were still yummy)

Now that I started researching cauliflower, it turns out it can be substituted for rice as well! Next up, cauliflower stir fry! Yum....

Have you guys cooked with cauliflower? 
Any other creations I should know about? 
Tell me if you end up trying this recipe!

12 comments:

  1. I will definitely be trying this. I love pizza, but it's definitely more of a treat. With this recipe I could see it being a weekly staple. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cauliflower rice is the new black! seriously, i have been hearing about it everywhere. now i just need to try it. i like this crust idea!

      Delete
    2. Let me know if you try it!

      Delete
    3. E - Yeah... I could eat this pretty much every night.

      Delete
  2. You always have the best recipes and ideas! My aunt used to always make cauliflower mashed potatoes when we were growing up. I've tried making them as an adult, but they never turned out as good as her's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, your aunt was way ahead of the curve!

      Delete
  3. I am so excited to try this! I also have been dying to make cauliflower mashed potatoes, as I tried them while I was in the South and loved them. I could eat lots of pizza with this "dough"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I tried to make cauliflower mashed potatoes once. It didn't come off too well. I should try again. And yeah, you can eat a whole pizza and feel fine. Lemme know if you end up trying it!

      Delete
  4. Oh... wow... that does look good! I am NOT a fan of cauliflower, but my interest has been piqued...

    Lindsay at Delighted Momma (http://www.delightedmomma.com/) has some recipes using cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I love Lindsay's blog. I left her a comment telling her about this post as I thought it was something she'd like. She's one of my biggest food inspirations.

      Delete
  5. Looks so yummy! I have heard of this and have been dying to try it! Your recipe looks super easy :) I recently did a post on cauliflower rice and it's bomb diggity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! You're my food inspiration (see above comment). I think I've tried more of your recipes than anyone else's ever.

      Delete

How did you know I LOOOVE comments?!