Thursday, September 15, 2011

Awkward / Awesome Volume 15

Awkward and Awesome: Being SO incredibly excited I have been waking up every day at 4am.
Just awkward: Being SO incredibly excited I constantly have, "Time of My Life" playing nonstop in my head.

Awesome: Getting here first on move-in day
Awkward: Not wanting to take the better of the 2 rooms in my apartment 
Awesome: Finding out the rooms are assigned.
Awkward: Moving into the wrong one.
Oh... Um... Hi for the first time, new housemate!  You're right... I did move into the wrong room. Allow me to just run back-and-forth 30 times with armfuls of stuff while you're waiting. 

Awkward: Moving into an already furnished apartment.
I already HAVE my own stuff....
Awkward x 2: Moving into an already furnished-for-TWO room.
Yup... I have 2 beds, 2 desks, 2 dressers, 2 chairs, 2 trash cans....

Awesome: My dad and brother driving my stuff (quite a long ways) to me in a Uhaul.
You guys are the best!
Awkward: Being the ONLY person moving in with a Uhaul.

Awesome: Having a really clean housemate.
Awkward: Having her be cleaner than me in EVERY way
Her: We should coordinate what time we each take our showers tomorrow.
Me: Oh, no, don't worry about it... you can takes yours whenever.
Her: No, really! I don't want to overlap... What time were you gonna shower?
Me: Um... Well, I showered today so...
Her: .....

Awesome: Being invited out to beer and tacos by some upperclassmen.
Awkward: Bringing along ALL the other first years
We travel in packs, didn'tja know?

Awkward: Following a boy into the bathroom yelling, "Are you going up?"
Note to self: The elevator is the NEXT door down.

Awesome: Seeing a familiar face at orientation.
Awkward: Having that face belong to an old friend that I had a slow, purposeful, drift away from.

Awesome: Receiving a stipend.
Awkward: Not being paid until November.
Um... rent? Car payment? Food? I guess I don't need those...

Awesome: Sneaking out of orientation with a few of my cohorts after boring speech #3
Awkward: Having this big, middle-aged lady literally stick her arms and legs out and crab walking back and forth trying to stop us hissing, "Orientation's not over! Orientation's not over!"

Awesome: My advisor taking me out to lunch.
Awkward: She didn't know not to take a grad student to a buffet.
"Allow me to load up on EVERYTHING."
Awkward x 2: She actually wanted to talk and stuff.
 "It's hard to eat everything on my plate AND talk..."

Awkward x 4: After being introduced to a rather young looking gentleman, I asked my advisor quietly if he was a professor or post doc, etc.  She said, "Didja hear that so-and-so? Rachael just told me you look TWELVE!" 
Doo doo doo... great first impressions... doo doo doo!

6 comments:

  1. Soo excited to hear you have your own place!!! Congrats!! Cant wait to see pictures!

    LOVED this post..duhhh! You crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see pictures too! I am living vicariously through you because I don't have any plans on going back to school again, but I LOVED school.

    Also, I love that you thought the boys bathroom was an elevator :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminded me of Harry Potter's first day at Hogwarts! Lol!

    The elevator one cracked me up!

    I'm so excited for you! I love the feeling of the first day of school etc...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like you had quite the first week! Can't wait to hear about more of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica and Lindsay - Hey thanks, pretty ladies!

    Beth - I will do my best to live it up for you. :)

    Lea - Ever since I read your comment, I've been LOVING it here even more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. woooah that's one awkward start of the school year! I hope the rest of the school year gets better... but if it doesn't, at least you'll have stories to share!

    ReplyDelete

How did you know I LOOOVE comments?!