Friday, August 19, 2011

465 days ago...


465 days ago, I kissed my sisters goodbye saying "I'll see you in a few days" as I headed north for my cousin's wedding and a potential internship/job interview.
Little did I know that the interview would go so well that I would be offered an internship on the spot.
 Starting immediately.  
This is the post I wrote then.
I didn't have time to go home and pack my stuff.  I found a sweet family to stay with two days later and lived off of the clothes and toiletries I'd packed for what was meant to be a short trip (good thing I'm an over-packer!!!).  The internship became a job on day 2 and I eventually got my own place.


The past year + 100 days have been some of the hardest and best of my life.  At some points, I have been lonelier than I thought possible. But I also have met some of the greatest people to ever grace me with their presence.  I've worked harder than I ever have before.  I did things I couldn't imagine myself doing (including flying across the country to present scientific data in front of a crowd!).  In some ways, it's been a very productive year (working as a research assistant in a neuroscience lab, taking the GREs, getting into grad school) and at the same time, unexpectedly my stomach clenches as I wonder if I've wasted a whole year.  The latter comes from the fact that I'm single, I think.  There's something in me that doesn't feel like it's a real accomplishment if I can't share it with someone. Does anyone else experience that?


But all of it... the happiness, the loneliness, the new friends, the hard work, the opportunities, the exciting future... through all of these, I have grown so much and know myself 200x times better than I ever had before.

Here's to a new beginning!

5 comments:

  1. Knowing yourself better is a gift. A gift to you and to your future spouse, so totally not a waste. Getting to know yourself is a noble cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've accomplished alot! That is so awesome.

    I heard someone say once that if you're single, that's God's calling for you today. Live in His will right now. There are so many opportunities (like grad school and being a research assistant) that you can take advantage of while you're single (and not feel guilty for being so busy and spending time apart). When He calls you out of singlehood, it will be time for that. But as for now, this is His plan.. enjoy it! I am the worst at hoping for the next season and forgetting to enjoy the one that I'm currently in ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't tell you how much this resonates with me. I can't wait to hear about your new adventures and know you will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, isn't it cool to look back at major life landmarks like this? Such an awesome feeling to see all the changes in measurable period of time.

    Congrats on the past 465 days, and here's to new beginnings indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoo hoo to new beginnings!

    On a more personal note: I sometimes wish I hadn't been in a relationship when I was going through school because I feel like that put me behind and took me off-track. I knew I wasn't going to end up marrying this person but he was a fun time. I wish I had been single during that time in my life. I know if I was single it would have been easier to accomplish much more.

    I say embrace singlehood because Mr. Right will show up when you least expect him to. I cannot wait to see posts about grad school!

    ReplyDelete

How did you know I LOOOVE comments?!