Sunday, July 31, 2011

Love in the time of Cholera


Ah, my belated Book Club Blogger's review.  This month's pick, Love in the time of Cholera, was chosen by the lovely Katie (of Doctors Terry).

I had a hard time getting into the novel at first... There are so many side tangents it's like watching Family Guy.  However, it slowly grew on me.  Mid-month, I found myself actually excited to ditch my day-to-day troubles for the quiet calm of their lives.  This work differed from so much of current mainstream media in that it had no nail-biting, adrenaline pumping M. Night Shyamalan twists and sucker punches.  It flowed.  Much like life... with the normal ups and downs of course.  It's not like nothing happened, but none of it felt gimmicky. 


This book satisfied my voyeuristic longing to follow a character (or characters) throughout the whole of their life (am I alone in thinking one of the best parts of the Harry Potter series was getting to check in with him year after year?). Unfortunately, in this case I didn't care much for the characters.

I got along with them alright for awhile but as I grew to know each of them better, I liked each one less.  The kicker for Florentino's dramatic fall from my grace comes near the end of the novel so I wont spoil it for those of you who haven't yet finished.  I think you'll know the spot when you get to it.

The weird thing is, despite not particularly liking the characters, I found myself strangely attached to the book.  Usually when I don't like a book or a movie, I have to put it down or I feel like I'm wasting my time.  I don't regret this read at all... it felt like it enriched my life in a way I can't quite put my finger on.  So while I'm sorry I can't say I loved it, I do honestly thank Katie for picking it.

Have you read this book? What did you think?

4 comments:

  1. okay, now I understand what you were saying a little more, about peering into characters' lives. and yes, that was always one of my favorite parts of Harry Potter!

    I'm glad you found this book satisfying, even if you didn't like it, which I suppose makes the book commendable in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is definitely an enigma. Can't say I love it, but I don't want to stop reading it either. I'll probably be REALLY glad when it's over but there are moments that I enjoy reading it.
    Confusing. Confusing. Confusing.
    Glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly - I'm waiting for part 2 of your review with bated breath. :) I just looked up that phrase cuz it seemed ridiculous and it's actually just a shortening of 'abated breath' which is a bit more sensical. That one's on the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, with that first paragraph you've almost had me change my mind about how in my review I spoke about not liking that it didn't have any suspense! Such a good point: "It flowed. Much like life... with the normal ups and downs of course. It's not like nothing happened, but none of it felt gimmicky."

    And yes, I did appreciate the fact that this was a "life story" of the characters! That was definitely my favorite part of Harry Potter :)

    And I totally agree with what Molly said which seems to echo everyone else's reviews and comments: it's such a contradictory book! We all like it, but we don't like it either...

    ReplyDelete

How did you know I LOOOVE comments?!